When I was younger I used to love a Viennese biscuit, whether it was a whirl or one of those M&S ones dipped in chocolate (which I’ve recreated here). The buttery, almost shortbread biscuit texture is so moreish, and fortunately they can now be made dairy and gluten free. They’re even vegan too which is a bonus!
This recipe makes approximately 10 biscuits (20 halves) and they are quite straightforward to make. The hardest part is piping the whirl, however if you can ice cakes, you should be just fine! I found them quite fun to make, and it doesn’t matter if they’re not all even, they’ll still taste amazing (well that’s what I told myself anyway!)
- 200 g Butter (dairy free)
- 50 g Icing sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp Cornflour
- 200 g Gluten free plain flour
- 70 g Butter
- 160 g Icing sugar
- 10 tsp Seedless jam (I used raspberry)
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 or 180 degrees and line two trays with baking paper.
- Beat together the butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy, then add the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the cornflour and plain flour and mix.
- Fill a piping bag (with a star-shaped nozzle) with the mixture.
- Pipe a swirl, starting from the centre going outwards onto the tray, similar to icing a cake. The biscuits should be 5cm in size with a few cm between each biscuit.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes until they are pale golden brown in colour.
- Leave the biscuits to cool.
- Make the buttercream by mixing together the icing sugar and butter.
- Pair up the biscuits with those of a similar size/shape. On each of the bases, spread a little jam (approximately one teaspoon), then on the other, a little buttercream, then sandwich them together.
- Dust with a little icing sugar to serve. These should last for a couple of days if stored in an airtight container.
If you give these Viennese whirls a try, let me know what you think. I love seeing you recreating my recipes over on Instagram. If you like this recipe, you may also like to try my gluten and dairy free Jammy Dodgers, these are similarly tasty.