I first had a go at gluten free Viennese biscuits over a year ago for a family gathering, but I somehow managed to lose the recipe! Then a couple of Saturday’s ago, while watching the X Factor (something I never usually watch), I found myself really craving some Viennese biscuits. So, late on a Saturday night, I had a go at making a quick batch, and drizzling them with some leftover dark chocolate. I posted these on my Instagram stories and I was genuinely taken back by how many of you wanted the recipe! It turns out it wasn’t such a bizarre Saturday night craving after all. The problem was – this batch were one of the messiest bakes I’d ever made – so I had to remake them.
- 200 g Butter dairy free
- 50 g Icing sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2½ tbsp Cornflour
- 200 g Gluten free plain flour
- 100 g Gluten free dark chocolate dairy free
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 or 180 degrees and line two trays with baking paper.
- Beat together the butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy, then add the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the cornflour and plain flour and mix.
- Fill a piping bag (with a star-shaped nozzle) with the mixture.
- Pipe a zigzag of the mixture onto the tray, leaving a little space between each biscuit.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes until they are pale golden brown in colour.
- Once the biscuits are cool, melt the chocolate.
- Dip the tip of each biscuit in the chocolate, then place them back on the baking tray to dry. As you run out of chocolate, you may wish to use a teaspoon to drizzle the chocolate onto the remaining biscuits.
I’m actually taking these biscuits on a road trip to Bristol with friends tomorrow, so I ended up making two batches, dipping half of them into white chocolate instead. I’ve already managed to eat a couple, so I can assure they are very good!
As always, let me know if you give these biscuits a try, I love seeing pictures of your low FODMAP meals and bakes.