I love baking for Halloween, it’s always good fun coming up with creative ways to recreate spooky creatures! This year I decided to create a cupcake to look like bats, and who knows, maybe one day it will turn into a vampire…
The recipe below makes 12 extra chocolatey cupcakes topped with gluten and dairy free cookies and cream biscuits (I purchased these from Sainsbury’s). I also made a cookies and cream buttercream and it tastes as good as it looks. To make your cupcakes stand out, why not pick up some Halloween-themed cupcake cases like the ones shown below.
For the cupcake:
- 200 g Butter
- 200 g Caster sugar
- 150 g Gluten free self-raising flour
- 4 Eggs
- 50 g Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Baking powder
For the icing:
- 400 g Icing sugar
- 200 g Butter
- 300 g Gluten free cookies & cream biscuits
- 24 Edible eyes
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl. Add the eggs, cocoa powder, baking powder and the flour gradually, folding as you go.
- Prepare 12 cupcake cases in a muffin tin.
- Gradually add the mixture until you have filled the cases three quarters of the way up (depending on how big you like your cupcakes) place these in the oven for 20 minutes.
- While the cupcakes cool, prepare the buttercream. Mix together the butter and icing sugar with 5 crushed cookies and cream biscuits.
- Pipe the buttercream onto the cupcake, and top with half a cookies and cream biscuit. Cut the remaining half into two pieces and use these as wings. For the finishing touch, add edible eyes to the biscuit using buttercream, to give your bats spooky eyes!
If you love this recipe, why not try some of my other Halloween bakes, including these Halloween Biscuits or why not take a look at these Halloween Bakes featuring gingerbread skeletons and a selection of spookily iced cupcakes.
As always, let me know if you give these cupcakes a try, I’d love to see you bat creations!
Leave a Reply