I’d been avoiding broccoli for a little while on the low FODMAP diet as it’s usually included on the “foods to avoid” list. However, like most foods on the low FODMAP diet, there are portion sizes which allow you to have a more varied diet. The low FODMAP portion for broccoli florets is suggested as 1 cup, which when converted to grams seems to vary, on google between 47 – 91g. I’d suggest introducing it slowly so that you can find your tolerance level. It’s also worth noting that broccoli florets are low FODMAP, while the stalks are high. Whereas for broccolini or tenderstem broccoli, the stalks are low FODMAP and the heads are high – bizarre right?! It’s worth knowing if, like me, you enjoy both!
The recipe below for my creamy, yet lactose-free chicken and broccoli pasta is relatively quick and easy to make, but it just requires a few pans for the different elements. It’s meals like this which make me wish I had a dishwasher!
Chicken and Broccoli Pasta
- 275 g Fusilli gluten free pasta
- 350 g Broccoli
- 1 tbsp Garlic-infused oil
- 320 g Chicken breast mini fillets
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Gluten free plain flour
- 175 ml Chicken stock (I used the low FODMAP Massel 7 stock cube)
- 175 ml Lactose-free milk
- 60 ml Lactose-free cream
- 40 g Parmesan
- 1 tbsp Fresh parsley
- In a large pan of boiling water, add the gluten free fusilli pasta and broccoli (you can steam the broccoli on top or boil in the pan).
- In a separate large frying pan, fry the chicken strips in garlic-infused oil.
- In a third saucepan, add the butter, cream, chicken stock, milk and flour and stir while it heats. Season well.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, remove it from the pan and chop into small chunks.
- As the sauce thickens, add the parmesan.
- Place the chicken pieces back into the large frying pan with the pasta and broccoli, then stir in the sauce.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped parsley and serve.
I hope you enjoy this pasta dish, I’ve shared quite a few different pastas in the past including Macaroni Cheese, Crab Spaghetti, Pasta Alla Norma, Sausage Pasta, Salmon & Prawn Spaghetti and Spaghetti Carbonara, why not give these a try too.