If you’ve been following a gluten free diet for a while, you’ll be familiar with being served a fruit salad as a dessert. Well, there is absolutely no need for this, especially when desserts can be this straight forward to make! Not only is my Chocolate Tart gluten free, it is lactose free and suitable for a low FODMAP diet. It’s incredibly rich, but very delicious!
The recipe below requires a 23cm tin with a removable base. I picked one up on Amazon.
For the pastry:
- 180 g Gluten free plain flour
- ½ tsp Xanthan gum
- 90 g Butter
- 50 g Icing sugar
- 1 Egg yolk
- 75 ml Cold water
For the filling:
- 270 ml Lactose free cream
- 30 g Caster sugar
- 90 g Butter
- 380 g Dark chocolate
- 50 ml Lactose free milk
- Chocolate shavings or cocoa powder to decorate
- Mix together the flour, butter, xanthan gum and icing sugar in a large bowl and rub between your fingers to form breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and water and mix until it forms a pastry dough. Cover in cling film and chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to gas mark 6 or 200 degrees Celsius. Grease and line a 23cm tin with a removable base.
- Roll out your pastry on a floured surface until it is larger than your tin. Carefully place this inside the tin and press lightly into the corner and sides. Bake blind (filled with baking beans) for 20 minutes, remove the beans, and bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Heat up the cream and caster sugar in a saucepan and bring it to the boil. Remove from the heat and add the butter and dark chocolate. Continue stirring until the chocolate has melted.
- Stir in the milk, this will give it the glossy shine, and pour it into the pastry case.
- Leave to set for a few hours, then sprinkle with grated chocolate shavings to serve.
Let me know if you give this recipe a try! And if you have any dark chocolate left over, dip some strawberries into it. There’s nothing quite like it!
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe, you might also like to try my gluten free lemon tart! The recipe for this is in my e-book ‘A Beginner’s Guide to the Low FODMAP Diet‘.
Are there any other dessert recipes you’d like to see? Let me know in the comments below!