There seems to be a cinnamon bun hype on social media at the moment, so I’ve been keen to make my own! After a couple of attempts, I’ve come up with a simple recipe for tasty cinnamon buns with the most indulgent cream cheese topping. These only lasted two days as they were THAT good.
The first time I made these cinnamon buns I didn’t use yeast as I just couldn’t find any and they were very crumbly. The second batch, however, were lovely, and pretty much how I remember them (although it has been a while!) The recipe below makes between 7 – 9 cinnamon buns depending on the size of each bun.
Gluten Free Cinnamon Buns
- 375 g Gluten free self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp Caster sugar
- 70 g Butter
- 1 Egg (and 1 yolk)
- 175 ml Milk (Lactose-free)
- 2¼ tsp Yeast
For the filling:
- 1 ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 100 g Soft brown sugar
- 40 g Butter (melted)
Cream cheese topping:
- 60 g Icing sugar
- ½ tbsp Cream cheese
- ½ tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Water
- Heat the milk in a microwavable bowl for 40 seconds.
- Add the yeast, sugar, eggs and melted butter.
- Stir in the flour and knead the dough (I used a dough hook in a free-standing mixer). If the dough is sticky, add an extra tbsp of flour.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl for an hour or so.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface and make a large rectangle.
- Mix together the filling and spread this onto the dough.
- Roll and cut into buns (should make between 7 – 9 buns depending on size).
- Grease and line a cake tin and fill with the cinnamon rolls.
- Cover for a further 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 or 180 degrees.
- Brush the cinnamon rolls with milk and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- When the buns come out of the oven, make the topping and spread over the buns.
I hope you enjoy baking these cinnamon delights! I love seeing you creating my recipes, please share your images with me on Instagram or send via email.
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe, you may like to try some of my other bakes, such as my Carrot & Orange Cupcakes or these Red Velvet Cupcakes.
Happy bun baking,
Leave a Reply