There seems to be a cinnamon bun hype on social media at the moment, so I’ve been keen to make my own! After a couple of attempts, I’ve come up with a simple recipe for tasty cinnamon buns with the most indulgent cream cheese topping. These only lasted two days as they were THAT good.
The first time I made these cinnamon buns I didn’t use yeast as I just couldn’t find any and they were very crumbly. The second batch, however, were lovely, and pretty much how I remember them (although it has been a while!) The recipe below makes between 7 – 9 cinnamon buns depending on the size of each bun.
Gluten Free Cinnamon Buns
- 375 g Gluten free self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp Caster sugar
- 70 g Butter
- 1 Egg (and 1 yolk)
- 175 ml Milk (Lactose-free)
- 2¼ tsp Yeast
For the filling:
- 1 ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 100 g Soft brown sugar
- 40 g Butter (melted)
Cream cheese topping:
- 60 g Icing sugar
- ½ tbsp Cream cheese
- ½ tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Water
- Heat the milk in a microwavable bowl for 40 seconds.
- Add the yeast, sugar, eggs and melted butter.
- Stir in the flour and knead the dough (I used a dough hook in a free-standing mixer). If the dough is sticky, add an extra tbsp of flour.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl for an hour or so.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface and make a large rectangle.
- Mix together the filling and spread this onto the dough.
- Roll and cut into buns (should make between 7 – 9 buns depending on size).
- Grease and line a cake tin and fill with the cinnamon rolls.
- Cover for a further 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 or 180 degrees.
- Brush the cinnamon rolls with milk and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- When the buns come out of the oven, make the topping and spread over the buns.
I hope you enjoy baking these cinnamon delights! I love seeing you creating my recipes, please share your images with me on Instagram or send via email.
Happy bun baking,