The lockdown baking has started up again! This time with these gluten free chocolate chip cookie bars. They are packed with milk chocolate chips, while maintaining the gooey texture and sweet flavour of a classic cookie. This recipe is very similar to those of standard cookies, but due to the dense bake, it needs a little longer in the oven.
For this recipe you will need a 20cm x 20cm square baking tin (the same one I use for brownies) and baking paper to line it with. You might like to use a mixture of chocolate chips, or swap them for dairy free versions if needed. If you don’t have any chocolate chips, break up a bar of chocolate into small bitesized pieces and mix these in instead.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 100 g Light brown sugar (or light muscovado)
- 100 g Caster sugar
- 1 tbsp Golden syrup
- 110 g Butter
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 300 g Gluten free plain flour
- 100 g Chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6 or 200 degrees Celsius.
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter, sugar and golden syrup.Add the egg, plain flour and baking powder and mix well until it forms a dough.
- Mix the milk chocolate chips into the cookie dough ensuring they are spread throughout.
- Place the dough into a 20cm x 20cm tin and flatten evenly. Sprinkle with a few leftover chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- Leave to cool in the tin, then once cool, cut into 9 bars to serve.
If, like me, you enjoy a dessert, why not warm up the cookie bar slightly and top it with a scoop of your favourite ice cream (dairy or dairy-free – up to you!) I find I can tolerate a small scoop of ice cream, but I have consumed any other lactose products that day, I will just take a lactase enzyme to help me digest it, and pre-empt any unwanted IBS symptoms.
This recipe makes approximately 9 cookie bars, but you can of course cut them smaller/larger depending on what you fancy. Let me know if you give these chocolate chip cookie bars a try, I love seeing others baking my recipes.