As the weather has been glorious during the last week I decided I really wanted to enjoy a picnic in the sunshine. While I’d usually pop to a local shop to pick up treats, it’s not always that simple on a low FODMAP diet. So this weekend I decided to make my own hummus to enjoy with gluten free pitta breads, tortilla crisps and vegetables. Now that I have come up with a foolproof recipe, my next challenge will be to create my old favourite flavours including red pepper and possibly a chilli hummus – delicious!
Not only does this hummus work out much cheaper than shop-bought hummus, it’s also tummy friendly! The low FODMAP serving of chickpeas is 42g, however tinned chickpeas are more easily tolerated as the fructans and oligosaccharides dissolve in the water. To make them as tummy friendly as possible, drain them, rinse them, remove the shells, then rinse again before using in the hummus.
- 215 g Chickpeas (tinned 125g without water)
- ½ tbsp Garlic-infused oil
- 1 tbsp Water
- 1 tbsp Lactose-free yoghurt
- ½ tbsp Tahini paste
- Drain the chickpeas rinse and then remove the shells by hand.
- Rinse again then add to a food processor with garlic-infused oil. tahini, yoghurt and water.
- Blitz until it forms a smooth paste.
Let me know if you give my tummy-friendly hummus a try! I hope you enjoy it this summer.